Some elements of resumes that are essential or useful in other countries are not necessary for a resume in the United States. If you are applying in the U.S., consider the following tips for an American-style resume template:
You must not include in your American resume
- Personal information: Such as marital status, religious beliefs, identification number, parent’s name, and date of birth.
- It should also not include a photograph of yourself.
- Additionally, it is not appropriate to include information about your salary history or expectations, or any references on the resume itself.
- Finally, it is important to avoid using overly casual language or unprofessional formatting.
- Visible table lines: If you use a table to organize information on your resume, make sure the lines are not visible.
- All capital letters: Use of all caps is not correct grammar. Use capital letters only to begin proper nouns ( your name, company names, countries, etc.).
You must include in your American-style resume
Your resume will be chosen if you keep in mind your skills and experience as well as the employer’s needs as you craft your resume. Here are some tips that will help you with your resume edition:
- References: must be sent separately as needed.
- Projects: you can include all of your academic projects, but it is better to have projects that demonstrate your main skills. For the projects, you decide to fit and describe your contributions and accomplishments rather than focusing on a description of the project itself.
- Extracurricular activities: choose the ones that resonate most with an employer and make sure that the descriptions are clear.
- Brief and specific objective: what type of position you are looking for, also state the field or specialty, and finally, you should indicate the skills and qualities you would contribute to the position.
Some American-style resume examples
If you have come here because you are looking for some examples for your American-style resume, visit the resume templates shop that we have designed for you, a place where you can find professional and modern templates that will help all people with personal and professional development needs.
Photo by August de Richelieu from Pexels
Leave A Comment